A Historic District
A History of S. Main Street
After several land sales, the Pulteney Associates from England were the first group to develop Ontario County. Land agent Charles Williamson planned Geneva’s center on South Main Street overlooking the lake, including a hotel and post office. Work did not begin until 1796 when the state legislature officially declared Geneva belonged to the Pulteney Associates.
As Geneva grew, the 1897 city charter created six wards. Ward One includes South Main Street with some of the city’s largest and oldest homes.